Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable #1) by Monica Murphy

One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable #1)
by Monica Murphy
Published: 1/11/13
Self-published
New Adult/Contemporary Romance

Temporary. That one single word best describes my life these last few years. I’m working at a temporary job until I can finally break free. I’m my little brother’s temporary mother since our mom doesn’t give a crap about either of us. And I’m that temporary girl all the guys want to get with because I give it up so easily. According to the rumors, at least.
But now I’m the temporary girlfriend of Drew Callahan, college football legend and all around golden guy. He’s beautiful, sweet—and he’s hiding way more secrets than I am. He’s brought me into this fake life where everyone seems to hate me. And everyone seems to want something from him. The only thing he seems to want though is…
Me.
I don’t know what to believe anymore. All I know is, I think Drew needs me. And I want to be there for him.


My Rating: 4 1/2 Coffee Cups!!


I don't know what exactly I expected going into this, but man-oh-man this story wasn't it (and I mean this in the BEST possible way of course). I think I went into this for some reason thinking it would be one of those light and breezy HEA romances. Nope, not even close. Got a swift kick to the gut, my heart stomped on, teary eyed and (as with any good book) I had the insane urge to go through my kindle and either a) physically assault or b) squeeze and kiss and love a fictional character or two.

Ok, on with the review. Fable Maguire (love the name btw) is not a whore. That's what the town thinks of her. That's what the local college football team thinks of her. And, if we're being honest, that's what college quarterback Drew Callahan thinks of her, which is why she is the only one he can ask to do what he needs. She has her fun (like any woman should be allowed to) but she in all reality, doesn't even have the time to be the whore that everyone makes her out to be. She is essentially a mother to her 13 year old brother- considering their actual mother IS a whore and a drunk and has no desire to take care of her responsibilities. This leaves Fable to grow up a heck of a lot faster than she should. She works constantly as a waitress at a bar, cooks, cleans and is a full time parent. Which is why Drew's offer is so appealing to her. $3000 to pretend to be his girlfriend for Thanksgiving break. Nothing more. A little hand holding, some chaste kisses, a few fake stories to appease the parents. For her brother's sake there is no way she could turn down that kind of money. Sounds like an easy enough trade off. That is until she actually meets the family. To say that they are royally f&*ked up would be an understatement and it takes all of one handshake for Fable to figure this out. She can see that Drew is more than what he seems. He has more going on than any one can possibly see and she's drawn to it. 

"He might be more trouble than he’s worth but I don’t think so. This man came into my life for some reason. Just as I came into his. Maybe we’re supposed to help each other cope. Or give each other hope"

From this point on, it is a "the two of them against the world" mentality. Fable doesn't know what exactly is going on with his parents, but she can see there is something entirely wrong about the relationship and she is bound and determined to unravel the mystery. Some you can see a mile away, and some takes you a tiny bit longer to catch on to. Even though you know what's about to happen, doesn't make the fallout any less of a WTF! heartbreaking moment. I can't say much more really without giving it all away or tipping you all off, so let me end with two things. First- MARSHMALLOW! MARSHMALLOW MARSHMALLOW! (basically what I was screaming at the end. When you read it you will know what I'm talking about). Second- Seriously this book is 99 cents. And in my opinion worth far more, so you have no excuse to not go and pick this up. 

    

2 comments:

  1. A 99 cent book that sounds interesting! I think I'm sold. My last try with a romance novel didn't end well. I'm hoping this one will be better. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look good, and I loved your review. I'm currently e-reader-less, but I think I have to earmark this one for later, when I'm actually caught up to 21st century reading.

    I'm a new follower, and I love the blog so far!

    Kelly @ http://www.paper-fantasies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete