Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Teaser Tuesday # 3


Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading and slightly altered by thebookcafeblog.com
 
 

Grab your current read
• Share 2 “teaser” sentences from a random page in your book or a part you really liked and post it as a teaser.
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away; you don’t want to ruin the book for others!

• Share the TITLE and AUTHOR too, so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser.

I'm currently reading The Exception to the Rule by Beth Rinyu and am absolutely LOVING it. I was lucky enough to have the wonderful author provide me with a copy, but if you're not cool like me you can grab yourself a copy for free on Amazon on Thursday for Valentine's Day (don't worry, I'll remind you). This story is filled with love in all different forms. Love of family. Love in the romantic sense. Love of friends. Even love for your job. Here's a little sneak peek from a random spot on the Kindle. Enjoy :)




I was approached by a little girl who spoke pretty good English. “Thank you, pretty lady,” she said with a huge smile.

My heart melted seeing how appreciative these kids were. I sat with the group of girls while Julian continued on his quest to find Rapula and Tau’s mother. The little girls flocked around me, making me feel like royalty. The little girl who had spoken some English sat down beside me.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Saada,” she said, smiling.

“How old are you?” I asked.

“Twelve,” she replied. “Are you a doctor?”

“Yup,” I answered.

She looked at me with admiration. “Can I braid your hair?”

“Sure,” I answered.

I sat quietly relaxing and taking in the warm sun until she finished. I handed her the elastic ponytail holder that was on my wrist to hold the braid in place. I touched the back of my head trying to get an idea of what my new hairdo was. It felt like a very loose French braid. It felt good to have my hair off my neck.

“Is he your boyfriend?” Saada asked, giggling as Julian appeared.

“No, just a friend,” I answered.

“He’s cute,” she whispered.

“I know,” I whispered back.

“I think he’s cute too,” Saada said, pointing to a boy who looked to be about her age standing off by himself.

“Well, I think you should go tell him,” I said confidently.

She began to laugh nervously and bashfully shrugged her shoulders.

“You’ll never know if you don’t try,” I said convincingly.

She looked at me without saying a word and marched over to where the boy was standing. I watched intently, ignoring Julian as he came over to ask if I was ready. He quickly became inter-ested in what was going on as well. I admired the confidence that she displayed as she whispered in the boy’s ear. I actually felt myself getting nervous for her, wondering how he would respond. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw him hug her before he went running off with a group of boys. Her smile was a mile wide as she ran back to me. My smile must have been just as big as hers. I couldn’t believe how excited I was over watching this first crush unfold.

“I told you he would like you,” I said.

“Thank you, pretty lady,” she said giving me a great big hug.

“You’re welcome Saada.” I hugged her her back.

“You should tell him,” she said, pointing to Julian.

“Tell me what?” Julian asked inquisitively.

“She thinks you’re cute,” Saada blurted out as she began giggling.

“No, well I didn’t…” I couldn’t get the words out and felt myself turning red.

Julian began laughing hysterically at my reaction.

“Aww Kat, you think I’m cute?” he teased.

I finally regained my composure. “Well, actually, Saada said you were cute and I just went along with it,” I said smiling.

“Oh, look at you, blaming it on a little girl,” he said, still teasing me.

2 comments:

  1. This a truly adorable teaser. I am adding this book onto my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem!! Finished it last night. It is a really good read.

    ReplyDelete