Thursday, July 2, 2015

New Review Up! White Raven (Raven #1) by J.L. Weil

White Raven (Raven #1)
by J.L. Weil
Genre: YA Paranormal
Published: 3/27/2015


DREADFUL LIES.
UNEXPECTED LOVE.
IMPOSSIBLE TRUTH.

It only took one heartbeat to change my life—one chilling phone call in the middle of the night.

And then, as if my life didn’t already suck, my dad sends my brother and me to some idyllic island for the summer to live with a grandma we never met. WTH. Naturally, I rebel. In the end, I find myself shipped off to Raven Hallow…and bored to tears.

Until I get an eyeful of the mind-bendingly gorgeous Zane Hunter. The dark-hair cutie makes my pulse go bonkers, and I think, maybe this might not be so bad after all. Six feet of swoon inducing looks, with a hint of Celtic charm in his voice, he was the type of guy that left a string of broken hearts in his wake. And I had all the heartbreak I could handle.

Yet, there is something uncanny, almost supernatural about Zane, and it’s not just his devastating smirk. No matter how much distance I put between us, Raven Hallow isn’t big enough, and the sparking tension between is undeniable. Of course, the one person I want to avoid becomes my salvation.

My past comes back to terrorize me. Someone wants me dead, and the closer I get to the truth, the more I realize my whole life is a lie. I am no longer sure what is more frightening—the attempts on my life or the guy whose heart and soul are synchronized with mine.


My Rating: 4 Coffee Cups!!

I honestly can't tell you what prompted me to pick this book up. I've never read this author before, I'd never even heard of this book. It may have been the gorgeous cover, or it may have just been my needing to go back to my original love- Paranormal YA. I had tried it a few times before recently, and the results were never very good. And when I say paranormal I mean TRUE paranormal. Not dystopian or anything to that effect. I had been on such a long kick of New Adult and Contemporary Romance that I needed a break. I read to escape and as amazing as that genre and all of it's kick ass authors are I needed a total, could never in a million years happen unless I was on some kind of psychotic break- kind of escape that only true paranormal could give me. So, when I read this description I thought sure might as well give it a shot. And then it took me forever to actually choose it on my kindle. You ever have those moments when you look at all the pretty book covers on your kindle and say to yourself "why did I download this?" and "what was this one about again?". Welp, I'm ashamed to admit that I did that a few times with this one. But the cover just kept drawing me back. So I decided I would open it up and give it a read. I did this yesterday. I finished it last night. So, yeah. 

Piper (love the name choice btw) and her younger brother TJ are dealing with the unexpected murder of their mother. Her dad on the other hand isn't really dealing it at all. He instead put them on a boat to a small New England island to live with a grandmother they've never met before. Piper is a typical 17 year old girl. Angry with the world, snippy, full of attitude and sass. But she has a pretty good reason to be. She directs a lot of said sass to her grandmother Rose who, apparently, pretty much runs the island. 

Enter Zane. Brooding, handsome and kind of a prick. He has secrets, along with many of the people on this island, and Piper is determined to get to the bottom of it. 

Piper and Zane's intense hate/attraction towards each other is hilariously awesome. So many one liners I want to steal and use on people in real life. And just enough cussing to make me not feel too old for reading this. But Zane is fighting his attraction hard. Harder than someone who just thinks the other person is an entitled "Princess" like he insinuates constantly. 

There's no way to fully go into the rest of the book without giving A LOT away. So I won't. All I'll say is the paranormal aspect is refreshing. It's a new bit that hasn't been done a million and a half times. The world building is interesting and J.L. Weil has a knack of revealing just enough at each time to keep you satiated. That's not to say I didn't figure out some things here and there on my own, but there were enough twists to keep you hooked. Oh and I'll also say prepare to be PISSED. Because the book ends with this:

Piper and Zane's story continues....
Black Crow
Coming in 2016

Yeah, you read that correctly. But regardless, thank you J.L. Weil for giving me what I was looking for in a new YA Paranormal series: Love, snarkiness, rarely used type of good/bad guy, angst, and awesome BFFs (you'll love Zoe). Can't wait until (grrr) 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment