Wednesday, October 21, 2015

October's Spooky Reads!! Review by Amanda! Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris, 2 Tea Cups




Here is the third Spooky Reads review for the month of October, in honour of Halloween!


Silence of the Lambs 

By: Thomas Harris
Genre: Thriller / Mystery

Hannibal Lecter. The ultimate villain of modern fiction. A young FBI trainee. An evil genius locked away for unspeakable crimes. A plunge into the darkest chambers of a psychopath's mind-- in the deadly search for a serial killer. As part of the search for a serial murderer nicknamed "Buffalo Bill," FBI trainee Clarice Starling is given an assignment. She must visit a man confined to a high-security facility for the criminally insane and interview him.

Review by Amanda

My Rating: 2 Tea Cups

For those who don’t know Silence of the Lambs is a widely popular 1991 film, which won best picture, as well as best actor and best actress for Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster. As per Wikipedia it is the first and only Best Picture winner widely considered to be a horror film. 

At first, I was very hesitant to read Silence of the Lambs since I am not a fan of horror and gory novels. Even my parents were telling me not to read the novel since they had seen the movie and they know that I’m a huge scaredy cat. However, after reading Silence of the Lambs, I was very underwhelmed by the novel and found it to be lacking in the horror department. 

Please note that I have not seen the award winning movie so I had no comparison. As well, I will not be watching the movie, not because of the novel, but because I hate horror films (remember scaredy cat). 

I really liked the concept of Silence of the Lambs. In order to catch a psychopath, the FBI needs help from another psychopath. However, I found that the execution fell flat. The reader was in the minds of so many people, that it was hard to keep track of who was who. However, I did love being in the mind of Buffalo Bill. I liked being able to see the reasoning behind the killing.

I did not feel a connection with the one of the lead characters, FBI trainee Clarice Starling. I found her to be distant and cold. I think it was mostly due to the writing. It was choppy and all over the place. 

I did enjoy the end of the novel. There was lots of mystery and suspense, and I didn't know what was going to happen. I also loved how the author wrapped up the story line and there wasn't any loose ends. 

I was expecting a great horror thriller, but got a disjointed plot and an average shocker. If you are a fan of thrillers, I would suggest skipping this one and watching the movie. From what I hear it's suppose to be one of the best! 

Add to Goodreads

Buy links:


No comments:

Post a Comment