Thursday, November 5, 2015

Review by Coll! Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. 5 Coffee Cups!

Six of Crows
By Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Young Adult / Fantasy

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.

Review by Coll

My Rating: 5 Coffee Cups!

I finished Six of Crows and immediately found myself missing Kaz and his crew, which is a surefire sign that I just finished a book that I absolutely loved. Kaz Brekker, criminal, gang leader, outcast, has assembled a group of misfit criminals from The Barrel to pull off the crime of a lifetime, a crime that even the most capable and seasoned lawbreakers would find nearly impossible. But for a group of men and women who have nothing left to lose, the impossible could be the one thing that will bring them salvation and the wealth they need to start new lives. But before they can go about saving the world they must first get past the secrets they are hiding, the resentment they hold back, and the mistrust they feel towards one another, and focus on not getting killed by the odds stacked against them.

I had been looking forward to reading this book since it was released because there were so many tempting aspects to it: theft, magic, fantasy, so many things that I love in a good story. Six of Crows is set in the same world as Bardugo’s Grisha Trilogy but in a different land, with different characters, and it is not necessary to read the other trilogy first. I felt like the story got off to a slow start but after the first part of the book (it is divided into several parts) it really picked up and I could not put it down. Once I was halfway through the book I caught myself thinking about it all the time and wondering what would happen next with each of the characters that I had grown to love so much.

To tell the story, Bardugo switches each chapter to be from a different main character’s point of view, but I felt she did it in a different and more engaging way than I have seen it done by other authors in the past. The trouble I fall into sometimes when reading a story that switches between characters is the breakup of the storyline, since each character usually jumps to a different time or location. Bardugo switches characters yet tells the story seamlessly so that each chapter starts exactly where the last left off, but with the point of view of someone new. So the story never breaks succession and there is never a lull in the action. This way we learn the emotions, motivations, and differing viewpoints of each character without the excitement of the story ever getting interrupted.

The character development in the story is incredible and you quickly begin to learn the talents and flaws of each character and feel as if you know them personally and love each of them for who they are. Bardugo uses the present, flashbacks, internal thoughts, etc. to teach you the history of each character and give you a glimpse into why they have each become the person they are. The storyline was very unique and often focused on special abilities that some characters possess (the Grisha) which are incredibly interesting and a different take on magic. Once you get about 100 pages into the book the story really picks up pace and it is basically nonstop action after that point, done in near flawless fashion. There were small things about the book that bothered me, but these are rather insignificant details like the ages of certain characters or odd interactions which took nothing away from the story at all and were just little things that I noticed occasionally. Overall Bardugo told a brilliant story and I loved every second of it.

I finished this book several days ago and I still find myself missing the characters, Ketterdam, and everything about the story. It has been a long time since I have read a book that tugged at my heart enough that it made me go through a slight withdrawal and left me feeling a little depressed that I was not still immersed in the world of the book and the lives of its characters. Six of Crows has done that to me and the more I think about the book the more I love it and I find myself already anticipating the next novel in the trilogy. The book ends with a cliffhanger but not one that leaves you screaming in rage at having to wait so long for the next book, but enough for you to feel eager with anticipation as you patiently await book two. I look forward to the day where I am back in The Barrel hanging out with Kaz and the rest of the crew as the next part of the incredible journey takes place.

“When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing.”

Add on Goodreads

Buy links:

No comments:

Post a Comment