Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"Waiting On" Wednesday


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.
 
This week's choice is:
 
 
 
Cautious (Disastrous #2)
by E.L. Montes
Release Date: 5/23/13

Marcus and Mia share a LOVE stronger than others, but their relationship was built on LIES and deceit.
Cautiously, they continue to struggle for what they desire more than anything, each other.
Though, that comes with a price … one that involves more HEARTBREAK and deception.
Can they survive another disastrous path?
Is their love strong enough to defeat all the obstacles, all of the BETRAYAL?
Not all broken relationships are repairable, but Marcus and Mia try their hardest to fight for themselves and for each other.

So I haven't done a "Waiting On" Wednesday in awhile, but this one has me jittery like a crack fiend with anticipation. Only 8 more days!! I cannot wait for this!! Have you read Disastrous yet? If you haven't it's only $0.99 on Amazon right now so Go Pick It Up!
 
Add Cautious to your Goodreads TBR Pile

Oh and here is a teaser that the awesome-sauce Ms. Montes posted on her blog last month... Yeah not helping my utter impatience for this book...

MARCUS POV TEASER 
UNEDITED VERSION
Copyrights @ Cautious by E.L. Montes
The six of us moved closer toward Lou, forming a U surrounding his desk. Lou placed his wallet and revolver on top of a stack of papers and then eased down into his chair. Once he was situated, he took a long hard look at each and every one of us. Not saying a word – just taking his time to scrutinize the six men before him. I straighten my shoulders as I shoved my hands into my front pockets. Jimmie, to the right of me, had his arms crossed, intensively focusing on Lou while the others waited patiently.
Lou leaned back in his chair, laying an elbow on the armrest, as his index finger and thumb framed his face. Crossing his leg, he let out roguish laugh. “I call bullshit,” He spat out. All of us gave each other questioning glares and then turned our attention back on Lou. His smile widened. “I call bullshit because it’s come to my attention that someone in this very room has been lying the entire time.”
My breathing maintained steady, but I felt a rush of heat course through my veins. Jimmie slightly shifted uncomfortably beside me. As I quickly glanced over at him, I could see his forehead becoming damp. It was warm in the space we occupied, but I knew my brother, he was fuckin’ nervous. No one seemed to notice the change in his demeanor but me.
Come on Jimmie, don’t fuck this up.
 “For years, I truly thought my men were loyal.” Lou sucked his teeth three times as he slowly shook his head. “Tsk, tsk, tsk. Shame on me for believing there were still devoted men in this world.” After one hard look at each of us, he uncrossed his leg and leaned into the desk. His elbows were placed on top of the wooden surface. He pointed an index finger and brought it toward his lips as his thumb rested beneath his chin. He sat in deep thought for a short period of time.
“What to do?” Lou questioned in a low voice. Then as if something lit up in his head, he spread his arms wide with a cocky grin. “Ah, that’s right. If I need something done, I must do it myself!” He stood from his chair, straightened his shoulders, and cracked his neck. Reaching for his revolver, he tightened his grip around the handle, twirling and examining the black metal piece in his hand. Everyone straightened, adjusting their position.
Lou walked around the desk until he was in the center of us. He slowly walked back and forth with his left hand behind his back. He gestured with his right hand, tightly holding the gun, as he spoke, “See what I don’t understand is while thinking back on it all, I truly thought, I took very good care of my men.” Stopping to face me, he angled his head and asked, “Do you think I do, Marky? Take good care of my men, that is?” I gave a curt nod in response. With a crooked grin, he tapped the cold metal gun in his hand along the side of my face, turned and made his way back to the center. All traces of humor washed away from his features as he stood tall and eyed every one of his men before him. “If I take good care of my men…then tell me? Why the FUCK am I having this fuckin’ conversation!” His arms spread wide as he glanced around the room like a lunatic.
“Tell me!” Lou’s face was slowly turning red as his anger built. It was dead silent. The drop of a pin could be heard a mile away. Landing his glare on Vinnie, he pointed his gun. “Vinnie, you got something to say?”
Vinnie shook his head. “No boss.”
“Hmm.” Then Lou’s arm shifted over to Buddy. “Buddy…what about you?” Lou asked.
Buddy raised a brow. “I’m the most loyal to you, Lou.”
Amused by that statement Lou smiled mockingly as he approached Buddy. “Is that so?”
Buddy stood his ground and nodded. “Yes, it is.” With both hands folded behind his back, Lou leaned into him, their faces mere inches away from one another as Lou drilled his eyes into Buddy’s for an awkwardly long time.
As if another idea just popped into his head, Lou swirled around and made his way back toward the center. Raising his gun, he aimed it at Buddy. “Eeny.” Lou smirked and then began pointing at each and every one of us, as he continued. “Meeny. Miny. Moe. Catch a Rat.” He landed the gun on Jimmie. I stiffened. My body damped with sweat as my heart thrashed against my chest. All sound went faint, expect for my breathing that grew hasty. Everything around me felt as if it was going in slow motion. I showed no sign of uneasiness as I exhaled when Lou took the aim off of Jimmie and began to go down the row of men again. “By his toe. If he squeals.” Mischievously, his smile grew lopsided. “Then let the fucker go.” Without a second thought, Lou pulled the trigger.



No comments:

Post a Comment